Facilities

WSUCougars

FRIEL COURT AT BEASLEY COLISEUM

Beasley Coliseum

Friel Court, located in the Beasley Performing Arts Coliseum, has been the home of men's basketball since 1973 and women's basketball since 1996.

The arena was formally dedicated in honor of long-time Washington State Basketball Coach Jack Friel, who guided the Cougars to the 1941 NCAA title game. In the spring of 1981, the coliseum was named in honor of former Washington State Executive Vice-president Wallis Beasley.

The most recent addition to the venerable facility is a sparkling parquet floor, which was laid down during the 2000 season. The new surface replaced the old maple floor that had been in place since the 1983-84 season.

Since the Cougar men christened Friel Court with an 80-78 victory over Louisiana State in 1973, more than 1.8 million fans have gone through the gates of the Coliseum. During that span, the men's squad compiled a 45-game non-conference home winning streak that lasted nearly a decade and won 65% of the games played at the 12,058 seat venue, including a perfect 14-0 mark in 1983. That same year, 12,422 fans watched WSU upset UCLA 70-68, which is still the largest crowd in Friel Court history.

In addition to men's and women's Cougar basketball, Friel Court hosted first and second round NCAA West Regionals in 1975, 1982, and 1985, an NBA exhibition game between the Seattle SuperSonics and the Portland Trailblazers, and Washington State University commencement every year since 1973.

The addition of the center-hung scoreboard in Beasley Coliseum was completed use in the 2011-12 season.

The new center-hung display features four LED video displays, each measuring 11 feet high by 15 feet wide. With 10 millimeter line spacing, these displays will incorporate clarity and contrast of video images with the capability to present live and recorded video. The displays are also capable of showing custom animations, vivid graphics, up-to-the minute statistics, player highlights and in-game advertising from sponsors.

BASKETBALL PRACTICE FACILITY

Basketball Practice Facility

The Basketball Practice Facility is the primary practice gym for the men's and women's basketball programs.

Located in the P.E. Building, between Bohler Gym and Smith Gym, is now easily recognizable with the WSU logo painted on one set of doors and Cougars on the other. The Washington State fight song surrounds the perimeter of the gym along with images of the ZZU CRU, the group that helps make up the Cougars' student section, designed into the Washington State type as a way to remind the student-athletes of their support system.

Sixteen banners of current student-athletes hang in the gym, eight men's and eight women's, along with words that represent the respective programs, additionally all current team members are showcased and will be updated annually. Changes to reflect the newly formed Pac-12 Conference were also made.

Last season, padding was added along the walls of the entire gym and a video system was implemented to help with film sessions for both programs

BOHLER GYM

Bohler Gym

One of Washington State University's most storied buildings is the venerable Bohler Gymnasium. It has been the home for Cougar Athletics and Physical Education since 1928. The 3000 seat venue is named for J. Fred Bohler, Washington State's head men's basketball coach from 1909 to 1926 who compiled 403 wins.

Men's basketball called Bohler Gym home until 1973, and had a storied history which included head coach Jack Friel's 1941 NCAA runner-up squad. Washington State's women cagers played in the gym from 1970 to 1996 and had an impressive home court mark of 51 wins and 16 losses from 1970 to 1979.

Since 2000, Bohler Gym is the only facility dedicated solely to women's volleyball in the Pacific-10 Conference. Its dominating home court atmosphere, where the fans are virtually on top of the action, has created a unique environment for WSU and is dreaded by all opponents.

To accommodate the increasing needs of nearly 500 men and women student-athletes, an addition was completed in 1997, consolidating the two-story varsity weight room, Marketing and Promotions, Compliance, Sports Information, and Athletic Academic Services. The original Bohler Gym's internal renovation was completed in 2000, and combined with the Addition is now called the Bohler Athletic Complex.