ROOS FIELD (Formerly Woodward Field)
*Red Synthetic Turf
Back when Woodward Field was first named in 1937, synthetic turf was still some 30 years away from existence -- and 73 years from being produced in red.
With the completed installation of red synthetic turf in September of 2010, that included a $500,000 contribution made by Michael and Katherine Roos, Eastern Washington University’s football field in Cheney, Wash., was re-named to “Roos Field”.
Eastern made the announcement following naming approval by the EWU Board of Trustees that is contingent upon project completion. The Board of Trustees commended the Roos family’s philanthropic efforts on behalf of Eastern and the community through the Michael Roos Foundation. A former Eagle student-athlete, Roos is a starting left offensive tackle for the Tennessee Titans in the National Football League, and has started every Titans game in his five-year career. Roos excelled in the classroom as well, graduating with a double major in finance and economics.
“We are thrilled to be able to acknowledge in this manner the incredible contributions Michael and Katherine have made to Eastern Washington University,” said Eastern athletic director Bill Chaves. “We felt this was the most appropriate honor we could give them, but at the same time, we regard highly the legacy left by Mr. Woodward. Regardless of the name change, we will permanently remember the Woodward family at our stadium.”
A plaque commemorating the 73 years Eastern’s football stadium has been named Woodward Field will be placed on the wall of the Donor Suites and Media Center at the stadium. The stadium originally was located where EWU’s library now stands, but was moved to its present site in 1967.
The stadium was named for Arthur C. Woodward, who was Eastern’s head football coach in 1927 and 1928. More importantly, Woodward was head of Eastern’s department of physical education and health for 23 years from 1927 to 1950. He was insistent that every interested student should have the opportunity to engage in competitive sports through intramural activities. He endeared himself to students, and, as a result, Woodward Field was named in his honor in 1937.